Photo Shoot: Vilinus, Ukmerges Uzupio Secondary School, Lithuania
by GB, 11C and her English teacher Mrs. N M
Gediminas tower stands on the same hill which grand Duke Gediminas saw in his dream. It is the only remaining part of the Upper Castle.
Vilnius cathedral is believed to be built in the location where the pagan god Perk?nas was worshiped in pre-Christian times. King Mindaugas built it in 1251 after his conversion to Christianity. Many famous people, among them Vytautas the Great, are interred inside its crypts and catacombs.
The Presidential Place is the official residence of the President of Lithuania. The construction of the Palace took place in late 14th c. under the auspices of the firs Bishop of Vilnius. It served as a residence for Emperors, Kings and noblemen, among them the French Emperor Napoleon who lived there in 1812.
Gate of Dawn was built between 1503 and 1522 as a part of defensive fortifications. It is the only remaining out of 9 city gates, while the others were destroyed at the end of the 18th c. Many pilgrims from the neighbouring countries come to pray here.
St. Anne's Church thought to be wooden in its first construction. According to the legend, the beauty of this Gothic church impressed Emperor Napoleon so much the he wanted to carry it back to Paris 'on the palm of his hand'.
Vilnius University was founded by the Jesuits and the first students were enrolled in 1570. The Commission of National Education, the world's first ministry of education, took control of the Academy in 1773, and transformed it into a modern University. Today it is a member of the European University Association (EUA) and the Conference of Baltic University Rectors.